Tapioca allergy was not something common, until not long ago, when the field of medicine encountered a patient having extreme symptoms of allergy which were brought about by tapioca roots referred to as cassava. Tapioca is a popular dish across parts of Asia and Africa and is known to result in certain complications due to its cyanide content. Allergic reactions however, are rare and the flour or starch from the root is commonly used as an alternative meal for persons suffering from wheat allergies.
Symptoms of Tapioca Allergy:
- Breathing difficulties which result in wheezing and shortness of breath.
- Common symptoms of cold such as nasal congestions, watering eyes, and running nose. It may also be associated with consistent coughs and sneezing.
- Intense itching and skin rashes along with redness of the skin and general inflammation
- Severe allergic conditions common with patents allergic to latex also. The symptoms might cause the individual to become unconscious and is considered to be lethal.
- Swelling of the facial tissues and tingling around the mouth.
Reasons for Tapioca Allergy:
If you happen to be allergic to tapioca, your body may likely react in a violent manner on encountering proteins of tapioca. The inflammation of the body tissues is associated with the secretion of histamine as it attempts to eradicate the harmful allergen. As the allergen is eliminated, specific anti bodies binds to the protein and many symptoms will plague your body.
Cross reactivity with rubber or latex allergy is commonly seen in persons who are allergic to tapioca.
Being allergic to tapioca is not what you should ascertain by guess work. It is pertinent that you consult a qualified medical practitioner if you experience any form of discomfort whenever you consume tapioca so as to take an effective and timely precaution.