Qsmya is a new drug for treating patients with obesity .The drug is approved by the FDA; US.The drug was launched in the year 2012 in July. Qsymia formerly known as the Qnexa is a combination of topiramate extended, phentermine, amine anorectic, and phentermine. Initially the drug became popular among individuals willing to get rid of obesity. Initially the drug was prescribed by registered physician of the state. The dosages are determined according to the BMI of the patient. However within few months numerous instances were reported where in the patient consuming this drug suffered from numerous side effects. The two key ingredients of Qsymia: Phentermine and topiramate was reportedly the culprit behind these side effects. For many reasons these two molecules was not friendly with many patients.
The Phentermine is not safe for many individual suffering from obesity. Several tests and reports have forced the medical world to agree that this particular molecule is a potential risk for human wellbeing. Some of the frequently reported side effects of this molecule are discussed below:
- Gastrointestinal: the molecule is often responsible for diarrhea, unpleasant taste in mouth, constipation and dryness in throat and mouth.
- Endocrine: the molecule is responsible for impotent condition and alters the libido in individual consuming drugs containing this molecule.
- The common Dermatologic condition reported due to the intake of this molecule is the allergies reaction called urticaria.
- Some of the Cardiovascular condition related to this molecule are ischemic,palpitation,high blood pressure, tachycardia .Many patients have been admitted with primary valvular heart issues ad pulmonary hypertension .Numerous records also reveals that this molecule is responsible for ventricular fabrication., ischemic cerebrovascular, cerebral infarctSome other related side effect are :
- Swelling of ankles and feet.
- Mood swing.
- Dizziness and headache.
- Lack of breath.
The Topiramate another key molecule of the drug is equally dangerous for human health. Some of the reported side effects are:
- Some of the common renal conditions are renal tubular acidosis and kidney stone.
- The cardiovascular side effects include sudden palpitation, hypertension, hypotension and uneasiness while breathing.
- The immunologic conditions like genital moniliasis and infection are commonly reported by patients consuming these molecules).
- The hepatic condition includes hepatitis and hepatic failure (fatal in certain case).
- The commonly observed hypersensitivity conditions include rashes and allergy.
The nervous system is probably the major area that suffers from the side effects of this molecule ataxia, dizziness, speech disorders, vertigo, paresthesias, tinnitus, nystagmus, hypokinesia, grand mal seizures and psychomotor slowing.
The commonly reported gastrointestinal problems are gastroenteritis, vomiting, tooth disorder, flatulence, diarrhea, constipation, gastro esophageal reflux and tongue edema
Some of the Musculoskeletal conditions are myalgia, hemi paresis, muscle weakness, arthralgia etc.
Some other side effects are :
- Loss of vision.
- Weight loss.
- Sore throat and stuffy nose.
- Pin behind and around eyes